Map Your Future Growth = Success Ahead

Speech to Chamber of Commerce Small Business Week 2013 By Wendy LeBlanc What a way to kick off small business week – on Thursday and Friday of last week there were four Grand Openings in town, following one the weekend before; there will be a grand re-opening at The Cheddar Stop next Saturday, and I just heard of another one coming up soon. And even better – I heard that the new Timmies on Highway 7 with the Way to Go convenience shop and Esso station opened last Saturday. I like the slogan for this year’s Chamber of Commerce Small Business Week – Success Ahead: Map Your Future Growth. Certainly as a Town, we could easily adopt it for our Economic Development branding as we continue to plan for the progress of our community. Unlike many communities in the area, we are in the fortunate position of managing, rather than creating, growth. Over and over again, as I meet elected officials and staff from other Eastern Ontario communities, I realize what a fortunate situation we are in here in Carleton Place. [Read more...]

Speech to Chamber of Commerce AGM, 2012

CARLETON PLACE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, MARCH 29, 2012 (Check against delivery) Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. I am pleased to be able to speak with you once again and give an update on the economic development of our community. When I last spoke to Chamber members during Small Business Week in October, I outlined how your Council had worked to ensure success for our new Economic Development Officer; we had realized that, while we had the budget to cover the salary of the EDO, we did not have our ducks in a row in order to be able to encourage new industrial growth or even, for that matter, expansion of what we already had. [Read more...]

October 18th Chamber of Commerce Breakfast Meeting

October 18, 2011 (Check on delivery)
Good Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am pleased to be here this morning to speak with you about the economic present and future of our community as part of Salute to Small Business Month here in Ontario.  We are all aware that 75% of our working force from Carleton Place travels the highway to Ottawa daily, but it is the remaining 25% that your small businesses employ… your businesses are the backbone of our community and I want you to know that we appreciate and want to support you. [Read more...]