As I meet with residents, I am struck by their appreciation of the quality of life in Carleton Place. This is in no small way the result of citizens making significant contributions to their community through volunteer efforts, AND the extraordinary contributions of Town staff in making Carleton Place a desirable community in which to live. New residents tell me they chose Carleton Place because of its proximity to Ottawa and the small town charm that we have come to enjoy. As elected representatives we must never lose sight of this fact
AS YOUR MAYOR:
- I will continue to support the proposed expansion and development of the Carleton Place and District Memorial Hospital and Health Care Village to ensure that we continue to have access to first-class, locally available health care.
- I will support Council taking a pro-active role in physician recruitment to our community.
- I will seek support from newly-elected Council members to create a Special Committee of Council to work with the private sector, and the Government of Ontario to identify opportunities to develop more affordable housing for seniors.
- I will support the Youth Centre Board as a new Youth Centre is sought.
- I will promote with my Council colleagues the hiring of a cultural and recreational programmer for the Parks and Recreation Department as proposed in the Recreation Master Plan who will engage all citizens and, in particular the youth, to determine appropriate community programming and recreation.
- I will champion the installation of sidewalks on McNeely Avenue to reduce danger to pedestrians. I have already initiated this discussion at Town and County Council.
- I will explore the feasibility of a private-public partnership to establish an arts/community centre to accommodate local talent in the visual and performing arts. I will do this by examining how other municipalities have engaged citizens and potential corporate players.