Building a Greener Community
As YOUR Mayor, I will consult with citizens, advisory groups, business and industry to ensure that all “green” initiatives meet and serve the needs of our community.
I am committed to supporting and expanding the local education programs initiated by the Environmental Advisory, the Urban Forest/River Corridor and Carleton Place in Bloom Committees and introducing “green” information on the Town Website on the benefits of activities such as recycling, composting, pesticide alternatives, and energy conservation.
I will lead the proposal, development or enhancement of new and existing initiatives such as:
- fostering more backyard composting;
- publicly recognizing property-owners in a meaningful way for their efforts to reduce their carbon footprint;
- investigating the feasibility of a green bin program;
- installing re-cycling bins in high traffic areas such as shopping plazas, the arena, and Bridge Street, public parks and recreational areas;
- exploring the feasibility of river monitoring under the Urban Forest/River Corridor Committee’s mandate to make regular reports and recommendations to Council;
- investigate the feasibility of dedicated bicycle lanes on busy streets;
- investing in alternative solar energy sources for Town-owned buildings; and
- ensuring that we consider purchasing “Green” capital investment (such as vehicles) to reduce the Town’s carbon footprint.